Pizza magnate and potential presidential aspirant Herman Cain says President Barack Obama has done at least one thing well.
“He has awakened the sleeping giant called ‘we the people,’” Mr. Cain said, talking from his hotel room in Phoenix, where he has been stranded due to the snow and ice in his hometown of Atlanta.
Mr. Cain got a jump on other potential GOP 2012 candidates Wednesday when he formed a presidential exploratory committee, which allows him to raise money for a possible White House run. None of the likely frontrunners have taken that step.
The 2008 campaign got off to a faster start. By mid-January 2007, the following had all announced exploratory committees:
- John McCain (November 10, 2006)
- Rudy Giuliani (November 10, 2006)
- Tommy Thompson (November 15, 2006)
- Evan Bayh (December 1, 2006)
- Mitt Romney (January 3, 2007)
- Joe Biden (January 7, 2007)
- Barack Obama (January 17, 2007)