Michael Barone notes that many leading Democrats are legacies:
- Governor Jerry Brown, son of Governor Pat Brown;
- Governor Andrew Cuomo, son of Governor Mario Cuomo;
- Senator Mark Pryor, son of Senator David Pryor;
- Senator Mary Landrieu, daughter of Mayor Moon Landrieu;
- Senator Mark Begich, son of Representative Nick Begich;
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, wife of President Bill Clinton
He notes that Democratic policies on entitlements and other issues are also legacies.
Every political party has its grizzled veteran officeholders and succumbs sometimes to the temptation to champion antique policies and talking points that poll well rather than innovative policies better suited to new times. But Barack Obama’s — and Hillary Clinton’s — Democratic Party, stung by the electorate’s ingratitude for its economic policies and Obamacare, seems to have jumped into a “Back to the Future” DeLorean and steered half a century back in time.
Who would have thought “hope and change” meant Industrial Age big government for the individual-choice-oriented Information Age?