"Too few people are doing too much, and it's keeping the Cabinet weak," said one outside adviser to the West Wing. "In a Cabinet of people who are used to being superstars, no one has been able to negotiate to get a high-powered team in."
"I don't know what Rex does every day," a friend said. "[SecDef] James Mattis is home alone."
According to the Political Appointee Tracker of the Partnership for Public Service, of 553 key positions in the Trump administration requiring Senate confirmation, 486 have no nominee, 24 are awaiting nomination, 21 have been nominated and 22 confirmed.
The partnership shared the latest historical equivalents with Axios AM. As of today:
- Trump: 21 nominations, 22 confirmed.
- George H.W. Bush: 72 nominations, 27 confirmed.
- Bill Clinton: 69 nominations, 44 confirmed.
- George W. Bush: 65 nominations, 32 confirmed.
- Obama: 120 nominations, 54 confirmed.
- As Trump might tweet: Big difference!