Second Assignment for Structured Independent Study
Answer one of the following:
- Propose and defend one reform of federal campaign finance law. Be specific about what goals you are trying to achieve. What would opponents of the proposal say? What practical and political obstacles stand in the way? In your answer, pay careful attention to Mutch's analysis. If you want to write about dark money, please note an important recent court case.
- Mutch phrases his subheads in the form of questions. Pick one. If you disagree with his answer, explain why. If you agree, explain how events since the 2016 election confirm his analysis.
- Pick a super PAC. Explain its finances, strategy and tactics in the 2018 campaign. Is it circumventing rules against coordination with party organizations and candidates? If so, how? (See Mutch, ch.6.)
- Essays should be typed (12-point), double-spaced, and between five and six pages long. I will not read past the sixth page.
- Email me your papers as Word documents, not pdfs.
- Cite your sources. Use Turabian/Chicago endnotes.
- Watch your spelling, grammar, diction, and punctuation. Errors will count against you.
- DEADLINE: You pick! If you want to finish up this assignment earlier so that you can focus on the research paper, you can go for November 4. If you want more time to take the 2018 election into account, go for November 11. Decide among yourselves and let me know.