Our next book, Divided We Stand, discusses the 2020 results. Congress is a big part of the story.
On Kevin McCarthy:— Bill Kristol (@BillKristol) January 25, 2021
Churchill: “The exhibit I most desired to see was ‘The Boneless Wonder.’ My parents judged it would be too revolting and demoralizing for my youthful eyes, and I have waited fifty years to see The Boneless Wonder on the Treasury Bench.”https://t.co/yhWTX50993
What they're saying: "We're eating sh*t for breakfast, lunch and dinner right now," a McCarthy aide told Axios. The aide requested anonymity to speak frankly about his boss's situation.
Pressure is mounting on McCarthy financially, politically and publicly.
Driving the news: McCarthy explained his comments on Thursday during an interview this weekend with van Susteren. He also signaled limits to his support for Cheney, the conference chair and No. 3 House Republican.
- Corporate donors are freezing him out for challenging the Electoral College vote on Jan. 6.
- The media is lampooning him for initially saying "the president bears responsibility" for the Capitol attack but amending that last week to say, “I don’t believe he provoked it, if you listen to what he said at the rally."
- McCarthy also got hit for saying during an interview this weekend that "everyone" bears responsibility for the political temperature in the country.
- Meanwhile, the pro-Trump wing of his conference is angry with him for not condemning Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) more forcefully after she voted to impeach Trump.
- "Look, I support her, but I also have concerns," he said, adding there are “a lot of questions” she needs to address during a conference meeting later this week.